Sunday, May 03, 2009

On Behalf Of My Eight Year Old Self...

...this evening, I completed the 1980's computer game, 'Granny's Garden'. The educational game was the basis of our Computer Studies back in third class of primary school.

Mid-way through our last ever session, my teacher Mr. O' Byrne asked us all to look up from the computers and stop playing. Knowing I was only a couple of steps away from completing the game, I couldn't resist pressing one more button. Unfortunately this final click triggered a musical interlude which drew attention to my disobedience. I got kicked out of the class and never got to finish the game. Until now.

Little victories. Little victories.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, Joey... Troublemaker much???

Stan said...

On behalf of my eight-year-old self, thanks for an unexpected bout of warm nostalgia this wet morning. We used to play this on the BBC Micro, and got such a kick out of it. For what it's worth, I think you were right both to engage in clicky disobedience, and to finally finish the game.

Joey said...

Cheers, Stan.

The details of how to get your own version are here: http://tinyurl.com/cuxsop

Stan said...

Thanks Joey. My gaming impulses are weak and infrequent these days, but I won't rule out another session of GG. I'll never forget those dancing dragons.

Girlhurler said...

Amazing! Goodness though, the sound of the witch cackling used to give me nightmares ...

AnneMarie McCarthy said...

Me too! Exactly the same, only ever got half way through and it was the only game in computer class... I never got to finish it either....will I be so inclined? No probably not but I'm glad you were able to do it for me!

Maeve said...

forgot. it ever. existed.

where did you find it?!