Monday, May 25, 2009

What Time Is It, Mr. Wolf?

Patrick Wolf's new album, 'The Bachelor', can currently be previewed in full on his Myspace.

I've always been a big fan of Wolf and his previous three records are firm favourites of mine. However, lead single 'Vulture', with its grotesque lyrics and equally grotesque video, nearly killed my enthusiasm for this release. After hearing the album right through, I'm pleased to report that it's not as bad as I feared.

Even if 'Battle' comes perilously close, there's nothing else quite as bad as 'Vulture' on the record and my theory that Patrick is slowly morphing into Boy George is most likely unfounded. 'The Bachelor' is unlikely to receive as high rotation on my Itunes as previous efforts but it does have its moments.

My personal favourite of the new tracks is 'Oblivion', one of three tracks to features English actress Tilda Swinton in a spoken word role as 'The Voice of Hope'. As prententious as this might sound, it actually works quite nicely.

Forthcoming single, 'Hard Times', is another highlight although the fact that it sounds like a remnant from 'The Magic Position' makes me hanker for a whole album matching the calibre of that record.

'The Bachelor' has flashes of brilliance but, ultimately, falls short of the standard I've come to expect from Wolf. Let's hope that companion record 'The Conqueror', due next year, doesn't fall victim to the same peaks and troughs.

[Image: Myspace]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awh I miss those road games!

Anonymous said...

I'm taking my brothers to see him in June... They don't know who he is but I want to go and they'll be here at the time so I'm like "Think of how cool it'll be to see a gig in New York... ooooh..."