Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Blankety Blank

I recently took quite a shining to with the track 'Extraball' by French electronic artist Yuksek. One of the things I really like about the song is the way Yuksek's endearingly awkward pronunciation is offset against some sassy contributions from American rap artist Amanda Blank.

After a tip off from the Guardian's music section, I decided to check out some of Amanda's own stuff and was delighted to discover that she's just as impressive in her own right. I wasn't entirely surprised to see that she's been working with M.I.A. and Santigold collaborator, Diplo, because her music does bear certain similarities to both these fearsome female artists.

Indeed, Blank has teamed up with M.I.A. on a track called 'Take It Easy' and also featured on Diplo's incredible remix of Santigold's 'I'm A Lady'. Both of these tracks are well worth a spin, as is her imaginative re-working of Britney's 'Gimme More'.

Her upcoming album, 'I Love You', features saliva-inducing collaborations with Santigold and Lykke Li. The first single from the album is 'Might Like You Better', which The Guardian describes as "sounding like M.I.A. if she was less concerned with social injustice than sexual prowess". Check her out.


I particularly like the line about "moaning like a cat in heat". Reminds me of my flatmate's sexually frustrated moggy.

2 comments:

Girlhurler said...

Oh dude. I thought you'd fly the SANTOGOLD banner a little longer. ;)

Anonymous said...

'DJ Play That Shit' is one of her older tunes I've been listening to for a while. You should check it out if you haven't already. Or 'Bump' with Spank Rock.