Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Brains Behind Britney


A couple of weeks, Lou Bru drew my attention to British poptart Neon Hitch. Her issue-laden tracks reminded me of some of Jamelia's better stuff but I wasn't completely sold on her.

Yesterday however, Lou Bru sent me a link to a remix of a Miike Snow track, 'Burial', that featured a guest spot by Neon. Although my thoughts on La Hitch were largely unchanged, by drawing my attention to Miike Snow, Lou Bru introduced me to a new obsession.

The group is made up of Andrew Wyatt, Christian Karlsson, and Pontus Winnberg. Wyatt is currently working on material with star-in-the-making Amanda Blank and although Swedish pair Karlsson and Winnberg might not be household names, their alter-egos Bloodshy & Avant might be more familiar. The pair are best known for their work with Britney Spears and have co-written and produced what are, in my view, some of her best tracks (including 'Circus', 'Piece of Me', 'Toxic', 'Radar' 'Phonography' & 'Trouble').

Miike Snow's eclectic alt-pop is nothing like the body of work the band's members have produced for Ms. Spears or Amanda Blank. However, the project certainly highlights the kind of talent and musical ingenuity required to produce a perfect pop track.

The band release their self-titled album in a couple of weeks and, after previewing the tracks on their Myspace, I suspect the record will join When Saints Go Machine's 'Ten Makes A Face' among my favourites of 2009.

Check out Sylvia:


[Image: Pitchfork]

1 comment:

Luna Méndez said...

I was trying to find the lyrics for Mariana and the diamonds - I am not a robot and I ended up here!^^

I spent 10 minutes here and this blog is already in my favourites...

Great space BubbleBoy ;)
and awesome music taste!! :D