Monday, May 04, 2009

Love Is No Excuse For Bad Art

Thankfully, London-based popstar Esser's output is anything but bad.

Pop music is in a great place right now. There's a wealth of artists producing quirky, innovative music that's a far cry from the manufactured drivel we'd come to accept as 'pop' ten years ago (not that the likes of S Club 7 or 5ive didn't have their merits.)

One thing I've noticed, however, is that the current pop scene is largely dominated by ladies. For this reason, it's refreshing to see somebody like Esser representing the Y chromosones by producing music that, although incorporating elements of rock, garage, ska and electro, is unashamedly rooted in pop.

Esser first came to my attention almost a year ago because of the genius video for his single 'I Love You' but it wasn't until a couple of days ago, when I stumbled across a track he did with the Mystery Jets, that I paid a return visit to his Myspace.

Low and behold, it seems he's got an arsenal of tracks to make the likes of Frankmusik and Dan Black quiver in their Converse. Pick of the bunch for me is 'Work It Out' but I implore you to check out the tracks and decide for yourself.

Here's 'I Love You':



[Image: Myspace]

2 comments:

Paula said...

Ooh I like the alb. Listened to Headlock first to see if it was Imogen Heap-related. It so wasn't. But it was GREAT all the same.

Anonymous said...

I'm not supposed to listen to my iPod at work but I'm doing it anyway because I can't stop listening to this album. Now I'm afraid I'll start to hate it.