Monday, February 02, 2009

What I Need Is A Good Defence 'Cos I'm Feeling Like...

Although I never intended to produce a particular type of blog and I try to post a variety of things, the reality is that a large proportion of posts involve me inflicting my tastes in music on cyberspace.

The case as that may be, I think it's highly unlikely that 'Spherical Notions' will ever develop into a fully-fledged 'music blog', primarily because I don't post illegally uploaded audio tracks.

I got a bit spooked yesterday when I was fiddling around on analytics and noticed that my blog had been accessed a couple of times by individuals at Universal Music Group. I can only assume the reason for these visits was to check if I'd been uploading tracks by their artists, which of course I haven't.

According to news reports, Eircom has inked a deal with four major music companies and is poised to introduce a major crackdown on online file-sharing. Under a system known as “three strikes and you are out”, Eircom customers uploading or downloading music online from unauthorised sources will receive two warnings and then be disconnected if they continue to engage in the activity.

Statistically, people who download music buy more records, go to more gigs, and purchase more music merchandise than those who do not. Although, I admit I haven't paid for all the music I listen to, I spend a significant proportion of my money on live music, often to see artists who I'd never have encountered were it not for online file-sharing and streaming.

As unfair as it might be for individuals employed by major record labels, the reality is that these entities are becoming increasingly more redundant. Independent releases allow artists more freedom and creative control and practically every musician I've spoken to will attest to this. It's no longer necessary to pump millions into music videos and promotional gimmicks for a release. If the music is good, it will generate interest online and, in most cases, get the attention it deserves.

I love the fact that there is such a diversity of music at our fingertips and that radio and MTV no longer regulates what we listen to. I think the music industry bigwigs should try and turn these circumstances to their advantage rather than crying foul and chasing up perpetrators of online file-sharing. But that's all very easy for me to say, I guess.

Oh look, download complete. Off to bed with me so.

[Image: The Guardian]

No comments: