Friday, February 13, 2009

"This Real Nice, This..."

Tonight, I went to see Trinity College's DU Players' production of Enda Walsh's 'Disco Pigs' and found it a very humbling experience.

Last year, I directed a version of the same play in DCU and, although I was extremely proud of the production at the time, I'll willingly admit that Players staged a far more innovative and accomplished production.

The two actors were no more talented than the cast of the DCU production but Tara Robinson's direction was infinitely better than my own. Her use of lighting was genius and the slick choreography of the actors' movement really helped to make the performances authentic.

The venue for the Players' performance was much more suited to the production than where we staged ours but I'm not going to make excuses as to why this production was better. Players' 'Disco Pigs' is possibly the best piece of student theatre I've seen and, rather than begrudging their brilliance, I'm actually quite inspired by it. It makes me want to direct again, taking a more creative approach, and to learn how to use lighting properly.

If you can, try to catch this show. It's on tomorrow (Friday) and Saturday at 8pm in Players' Theatre, Trinity College Dublin. Tickets €5.

No comments: