Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Another Dimension, Another Dimension

I got a last minute ticket, courtesy of my friend Liana, to the Irish premiere of 'Coraline 3D' on Sunday. The screening was one of the 'gala events' taking place as part of the JDIFF.

I've never seen a 3D film in the cinema before, partly because of the extortionate price of tickets for the screenings. However, having experienced the visual feast that was 'Coraline 3D', I'm well and truly convinced as to the merits of 3D cinema.

'Coraline' is a 3D stop-motion animation based on a novella by cult writer Neil Gaiman and directed by Henry Sellick (who, I was surprised to learn, directed 'A Nightmare Before Christmas' and not Tim Burton). It's a deliciously dark Alice in Wonderland-type fable about a young girl enticed into an alternate reality where everything seems too good to be true and features the vocal talent of Dakota Fanning, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders and a surprisingly brilliant Teri Hatcher.

Coraline gets a full release here in May.

Go. See. It.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw yeah, I REALLY wanna see this! Everyone is obsessed with it over here.

Anonymous said...

I was too late to get tickets ...heart broken!

Did you see Colin Firth and touch him for me!??