Monday, January 04, 2010

The Beat Goes On

The countdown is underway for the BBC's 'Sound of 2010', their annual attempt at second-guessing the 'next big things' in the music industry over the next twelve months.

Fifteen acts were announced in November's longlist but, throughout this week, the BBC will rank the 5 acts most likely to 'make it big' this year. In at no. 5 are The Drums, a New York band whose brand of 50's-flavoured pop-rock has already won them a considerable following.

Their jaunty pop anthem 'Let's Go Surfing' justifiably had bloggers in a tizzy last summer and The Drums can back back this up with other excellent tracks like the sunny 'Submarine' and despondent 'I Felt Stupid'.

The four-piece claim to be on a mission to bring back 'the song', which they say has been sidelined as a result of too much focus on production. They also identify with 'generation me' and believe this helps them to produce music that they themselves enjoy, rather than being concerned with other people's expectations.

The Drums strike me as a band very much 'in development', so let's hope the inevitable attention they receive as a result of being 'tips for 2010' isn't too premature.

The Drums - Let's Go Surfing

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I like them.

Joey said...

I wouldn't have placed them in my Top 5 but 'Let's Go Surfing' is addictive.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to see them on Wednesday. Maybe I'll change my mind.

Joey said...

Nice. Let me know the verdict.