Monday, August 10, 2009

Fringe Binge

As devastated as I am to be missing out on the Edinburgh Fringe this year, at least being stranded in Dublin means that I get to experience the Dublin Fringe from beginning to end.

Although the official launch isn't until this coming Wednesday, I managed to get a sneak preview at the programme and there are some very promising-looking productions lined up...


One show in particular that grabbed my attention is 'Ann and Barry: What Kind of Time Do You Call This?'. (I was Generation Tara and Ben myself, but can still appreciate a genius premise when it comes along.) The show is set in the grounds of NCAD and claims to 'fuse drama, dark comedy, visual arts, music and dance'. Count me in.


I've previously posted about La Clique, which plays at the Spiegeltent for the duration of the Fringe. While it's probably the most expensive show in the whole festival, it's certainly value for money. It really must be seen to be believed and, unfortuately, its stint at this year's Fringe will be the final visit it makes to our shores. Book. Now.


Camille O' Sullivan is also playing a one-off gig at the Spiegeltent. Camille's burlesque cabaret shows are terrifying, mesmerising and one-of-a-kind. She's one of the finest live performers I've ever seen and, although she probably slightly overdid it on the tipple during last year's 'Cat's Miaow' performance, it was still one of the highlights of the festival.


Another show I'm intrigued by comes courtesy of composer Nico Muhly, who also has a night at the Spiegeltent all to himself. A quick google search suggests that this guy is, like Camille, the type of performer that needs to be seen in a live setting to be fully appreciated. I really like what I've heard of his music, especially 'Skip Town'.

As I've mentioned before, I will be working in the box office for the festival this year. I kind of landed the job last-minute last year but was so glad to be able to experience the chaotic brilliance of Dublin Fringe that I'd been relatively oblivious to up until then.

If you're Dublin-based and have a few evenings to spare in the first few weeks of September, I'd suggest volunteering. It's a great way to see free shows and, just as importantly, soak up the atmosphere. E-mail volunteers@fringefest.com for more info.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was definitely a Tara and Ben child ....A&B were LAME!!!! :P