Thursday, July 16, 2009

Eternal Fame?

I remember when I was much younger, Network 2 (as it was then) broadcast pretty much every episode of 80's TV programme 'Fame' over the course of a summer. I used to tune in religiously to watch the show and see what hi-jinx Leroy, Danny, Doris and co were getting up to at The New York City High School for the Performing Arts (what a mouthful).

When I finally saw the 1980 film that inspired the series, I was pretty disappointed. It was all a bit too serious and 'issue laden' for my liking and lacked the camp zaniness of the series.

When I saw the film again recently, I was able to appreciate the 'coming of age' aspect of it a lot more but I'm still fairly dubious about the re-make scheduled for release this year. Despite the involvement of Kelsey Grammer and Megan Mullalley, the trailer doesn't exactly suggest side-splitting hilarity and the whole thing seems a little 'done':



Pointless trivia: The theme tune, made famous by Irene Cara, is performed by Naturi Naughton, formerly of 3LW in the above clip.

[Image: Tim's TV Showcase]

No comments: