Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Not Only Bulletproof, But Waterproof Apparently

Few music acts in 2009 have proven as divisive as British electro-pop pair La Roux. Some find singer Elly Jackson's voice grating, others reckon her and producer Ben Langmaid's 80's pastiche borders on plagiarism.

Personally, I've really enjoyed their self-titled debut and was pleasantly surprised to discover a musical range that extends beyond the 'screechy-banshee-over-minimalist-electro-backdrop' motif. That's why it's such a pity they've opted for 'I'm Not Your Toy' as the next single

As much as I liked the track when I first heard it, I'm not sure if it's the best choice for release because it sounds so similar to the previous singles. It'll probably be a chart smash but it's unlikely to help them expand their fanbase.



[Image: Last FM]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got me and Dave on the guestlist for their NYC show next month - hells yeah I did!