Sunday, August 24, 2008

Edinburgh Diary: Day Twenty-Six

I've started the 'going home' stuff. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to get to the airport tomorrow night. Positively depressing.

The last couple of days have been great though. I finally managed to see 'Lucky You', a play that's been on in the venue at which I'm working based on a novel by American author Carl Hiaasen. The play is about racism, stolen lottery tickets and cooters (which are snapping turtles) and, although the production was excellent and the performances were strong, the adaptation didn't seem to work completely. The whole thing just felt a bit melodramatic and long-winded. Just because a story makes a good book that doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to the stage.

I also saw 'The Adventures of Butt-Boy and Tigger'. which was a two-hander by Australian theatre group, Out Cast Theatre, about the seedy world of gay online 'networking'. There were quite a few things in the script that I could identify with and I could see this show going down really well at the Dublin Gay Theatre Festival.

Last night, I saw Camille for the third time in as many weeks. Some ignorant tools sitting behind me detracted somewhat from my enjoyment of the show by saying things like 'oh look, she's actually going to sing a song' and 'this is so clichéd' throughout her performance. This was made up for by the fact that I got to meet her afterwards and we posed for a photo together (which I will post here later.) Amazing.

Ok, I'm gonna go try and nab a ticket for Enda Walsh's play this afternoon. I've probably hindered my chances of securing a ticket somewhat by sitting her blogging instead of going straight to the box office.

Oh well.

No comments: