Monday, August 04, 2008

Edinburgh Diary: Day Six

I retract my mildly critical analysis of Maeve Higgins comedy set.


I've just been to see 'I Can't Sleep', which is a children's show featuring the Cork woman and David O' Doherty and it was brilliant. The show is based around David's difficulty in going to sleep. He wakes up Maeve out of sheer boredom and then it remains for the audience to help the two of them to get back to sleep. Genius.

I also saw the Soweto Gospel Choir this morning and they were equally fantastic. Admittedly, I probably wouldn't have gone to this show of my own accord, but a few people from work wanted to go so I tagged along. The choir are from South Africa and they sang a mix of familiar and not-so-familiar gospel tunes whilst lepping about the stage like nobody's business. My friend Susan would LOVE this show.

I meant to write about my accommodation situation yesterday but ran out of time. The housemates I've met all seemed really nice but there seems to be a bit of tension in the house. I arrived home late on Friday night and one of the two Asian guys, Colin, told me there had been a bit of an incident with the American guy, Spencer. 'I just hope his bad behaviour isn't extended to you' he rather ominously said to me. I've decided it's probably for the best just to keep a low profile in the flat so I'm pretty much just sleeping and washing there. It's not so bad though because I'm pretty much on the go the whole time.

I've been getting on really well with the people I'm working with (mainly the girls, it has to be said) so I think I can officially say I'm no longer Joey-no-mates. Which is nice. It's great to have other people to see shows with because I think, even moreso than at the cinema, you really need somebody to turn to and say stupidly obvious things like 'oh, that's funny' or 'that was really good' at a comedy show or play.

God, these recent blogs are so long-winded. As if anybody even cares about my opinions on shows they're unlikely to ever see. I reckon it'll be cool for me to be able to look back on this a few months down the line though.

No comments: