Sunday, August 03, 2008

Edinburgh Diary: Day Five

So, the last few days have been hectic.

The only reason I've actually had time to go to an internet booth is because the show I wanted to go see was sold out. My employee pass only gets me into shows for free if there are seats left and apparently this particular show got a good write up in 'The Guardian' yesterday which resulted in a surge in demand for tickets and depriving me of a viewing. Bummer.

I've already managed to see six shows and, believe it or not, I was actually disappointed by a couple of them...
Maeve Higgins was the only show I had to pay into (only £5) and, as much as I hate to say it, she wasn't as good as I'd hoped. When I first saw Maeve two years ago at The Fringe, I was extremely hungover and she had me laughing so hard that I thought my poor dehydrated body might actually explode. This time around, she was pretty funny but not to the same degree. I reckon it might have been better to check out her show later in the festival because I got the impression she was still testing out her material.

'The Magic Tree' was quite literally one of the worst plays I've ever seen. It started off with three inner-city knackers plotting to rape a more well-to-do woman on her way home from a night out in Dublin (she was also 'Irish' but didn't even try to conceal her blatantly English accent) and finished up in a graveyard in Cambodia. The first twenty minutes or so were pretty tense but it was all downhill from there. Truly heinous.

Right, I've waffled on for far too long about the shows and run out of time on this here internet booth. Gonna go grab some food before I head to work.

Watch this space for more, more, more...

No comments: