Monday, July 07, 2008

Music's So Good. Music's OK.


Pop princess Annie's long-awaited sophomore album Don't Stop is pencilled in for an October release. The lead single I Know UR Girlfriend Hates Me surfaced in March and I must admit that I found it a tad underwhelming, if only becauase it sounded uncannily similar to Chewing Gum, the single that first brought Annie to my attention back in 2004.

Subsequently, a couple of album samplers have leaked (one officially, one not-so-officially) that have well and truly whetted my appetite for the follow-up to the electropop masterpiece début that was Anniemal.

Annie gained a lot of indie cool when her Royksopp-produced Heartbeat single was named Pitchfork's #1 single of 2004. Personally, I suspect that Don't Stop probably won't have the hipsters in quite as much of a tizzy as its predecessor. That said, the new tracks are considerably more marketable than Annie's earlier singles and I wouldn't be surprised if this album surpasses the 'modest' commercial success of Anniemal.

The majority of the tracks have been produced by Girls Aloud's long-time collaborator, Xenomania, and the man responsible for Sugababes' Freak Like Me, Richard X. This particular track, Songs Remind Me of You, is one of the songs with Mr. X on knob-twiddling duties. Popjustice had this to say about it, which puts things far more eloquently than I could ever hope to.

No comments: