Tuesday, July 22, 2008

And The Nominees Are...


I have no intention for this to become a 'music blog'. However, as I previously mentioned, my life is reasonably happy clappy right now so I've no real need to 'get up on my soapbox' at this moment in time. So, until things come crashing down around me (as they inevitably will), I'm gonna continue on with the magaziney format of posting little tidbits I feel like sharing.

The 2008 Mercury Music Award nominees were announced today. Somewhat surprisingly, Coldplay and Goldfrapp didn't make the cut. Disappointingly, Róisín Murphy's 'Overpowered' album was also denied a nod.

The nominees in full are:

  • Adele - 19
  • British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
  • Burial - Untrue
  • Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
  • Estelle - Shine
  • Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim
  • Neon Neon - Stainless Style
  • Portico Quartet - Knee-Deep In The North Sea
  • Rachel Unthank & The Winterset - The Bairns
  • Radiohead - In Rainbows
  • Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
  • The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age Of The Understatement
Admittedly, the only album I own on the shortlist is The Last Shadow Puppets' début. I was originally anti-Adele because of the hype (and tailor-made Brit Award) that preceded the release of her album '19'. However, I've reluctantly fallen for her charms since hearing 'Hometown Glory' and suspect that her album might actually be worth a listen.

I've never heard of 'Portico Quartet, didn't realise Robert Plant and Alison Krauss had recorded an album together and know very little of British Sea Power, Rachel Unthank or Elbow.

I suspect Estelle is a token 'urban' act. 'American Boy' is a great track but the rest of her stuff sounds pretty bland. Meanwhile, although I concede that Radiohead are one of the most influential acts of my generation, I have come to accept the fact that they're just not 'my bag'.

The three most intriguing contenders for me personally are Burial, Laura Marling and Neon Neon. I like what I've heard of these artists so far and I'm optimistic that one of them might turn out to be this year's Bat for Lashes, who the mercury shortlist kindly brought to my attention this time last year.

Tip to win: Neon Neon - Stainless Style

But what do I know?

No comments: