Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Like A Waterfall In Slow Motion

Press play. There's a handsome white man, walking around an apartment, plagued by gravity-defying fruit. He's crooning Feist's 'Limit To Your Love' against a backdrop of syncopated piano chords. His voice is pleasantly soulful and unmistakably English.

So far, so James Morrison.

But wait. Thirty seconds in, things take a turn for the brilliant.



This is James Blake, a London-based singer and producer. This fusion of indie, neo-soul and elements of dub is one of the best pieces of music I've come across this year, flooring me in the same way that The xx's 'Crystalised' did the first time I heard it.

It's the first track to be released from James's forthcoming album and, based on the unpredictable genre-hopping nature of his previous work, it's going to make for an interesting listen.

1 comment:

G said...

This is absolutely BRILLIANT. I'm sure I heard this a while ago but I don't think I was paying full attention... I can't have been. I just listened to it through headphones and got shivers. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.