Wednesday, November 04, 2009

I Have Nothing More To Say To You...

Oh wait, I do actually. I fully intended to make a hullabaloo last week about how brilliant Dublin-based duo Heathers' gig was but got distracted by (seemingly fruitless) job interviews and whatnot.

I've been a huge fan of Heathers' album 'Here, Not There' for a long time and, despite the fact that they play practically every fortnight, circumstances had always prevented me from catching their live show. So, despite a chronic lack of funds at the moment, I decided to head along to catch their gig at the Project Arts Centre with Paula and Eimear.

The set-up is simple: sisters Ellie and Louise, armed only with a microphone each and Louise's guitar - but. my god, what a beautiful racket they can produce with just these tools.

If anything, the sisters' gorgeous harmonies are even more impressive in a live setting than on record but I think what really differentiates Heathers from similar indie-folk outfits is their distinctive stop-start style of singing.

There are plenty of gentle, wonderfully understated moments throughout the set but Heathers are most dazzling when belting out songs like 'Margie' and 'Remember When' at full-throttle. At these moments, well, the microphones become a bit redundant.

Heathers - Cover of Tegan & Sara's 'Nineteen':



Heathers - 'Waiter'



Heathers are playing with Choice Music Prize-winners Super Extra Bonus Party on Friday, the 13th of November (spooky) in The Academy. Get tickets here.

No comments: