Saturday, June 06, 2009

I Kick Myself

My sister sent me a link to emerging Dublin-based singer-songwriter Emer Brady earlier this week but, for various reasons, I only got to listen to her tracks properly now. Having heard the tracks, I'm a bit furious with myself for having sat on this gem for days.

The best thing about hearing the tracks from her EP is that it's so rare you hear an obvious talent at such an early stage in its development. Emer is just 20 years old but her vocals are incredible, oscillating between full-throttle blasts that suggest she would be just as impressive in a live setting and moments of delicacy that showcase a gorgeous timbre.

The songwriting is more earnest than zany song-titles like 'Pow! You CAN!' might suggest. I particularly like 'Inter-Planetary Aztec-Esque...', which starts off like vintage Regina Spektor before morphing into something entirely different.

According to her Myspace, Emer is currently unsigned but there's every reason to suggest that she's set to take the Dublin live scene by storm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

KABOOM!

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is definitely a case of 'remember where you heard her first'. We'll be hearing more of Emer.