Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hot Fuss

A name cropped up in the Meteor Award nominations yesterday that I hadn't come across before. The same name caught my eye in the issue of Hotpress I picked up for my bus journey home last night. Then, when I interviewed Mark Cullen of Irish band Pony Club today and asked which Irish artist he reckoned would make a splash this year... You guessed it. That same name again.

I decided to investigate the source of all this excitement and, sure enough, there seems to be good reason for all the endorsements. Imelda May is a London-based, Dublin-born singer fusing rockabilly with some more contemporary influences. She's not the type of artist I would typically take an interest in but, based on this Jools Holland performance, I'd be surprised if she doesn't make a major impression on the live circuit over the next twelve months.

No comments: