Saturday, December 11, 2010

Exorcising My Demons

Ok, here we go. I've invested a vast sum of money (about 9 euro) in obtaining the sphericalnotions.com domain name and I'm determined to resuscitate my poor neglected plot of cyber-real estate.

A band whose debut album I've been meaning to rave about the past few months is Fenech Soler, who I first encountered via their remix of Marina and the Diamonds' 'Hollywood' this time last year.

Occupying a point on the musical spectrum somewhere between Klaxons and Friendly Fires, the band's eponymous debut is laden with glittering electropop gems, doused in shimmering synths and spluttering drumbeats.

Opening track Battlefields begins with choral-like vocals before breaking into a frenetic dance-beat tailor-made to set toes tapping. Anthemic ode to self-doubt Demons sounds like the most likely candidate to grant Fenech Soler chart success, while contemplative piano-led track Stone Bridge offers a rare reprieve from the frantic pace upheld for most of the album.



The band's trump card is undoubtedly frontman Ben Duffy's powerful vocals, which is especially impressive in the upper register and sets the band apart from the slew of keyboard-toting electropop acts currently clambering for our attention. In truth though, it's hard to fault any aspect of this package and Fenech Soler is one of the most impressive debuts of the year.

Fenech Soler - Demons (Yuksek Remix)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MR DOT COM. You fancy huh?

I am obsessed with this album. I have yet to properly listen to it all the way through from start to finish but every time one of the less familiar tracks pops up on my iTunes, I have a bit of a "WHAT IS THIS AWESOME SONG AND HOW DID IT GET ON MY COMPUTER?!" freak out.

Two thumbs up.