Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Un Bel Film

Working as box office staff for the Jameson Dublin International Film Festival unfortunately prevented me from going to see most of the movies being screened.

However, I was lucky enough to nab a ticket for the gala screening of the festival's closing film, 'Io Sono l’Amore' ('I Am Love'), so I wandered along to The Savoy last night to check it out.

Eleven years in the making, the movie stars Tilda Swinton as the Russian wife of a wealthy Italian businessman whose life takes a series of unexpected turns after her son befriends a lowly chef.

Swinton and the film's director Luca Guadagnino were present at the screening and said that they had set out to make a film that would reclaim words used to describe modern movies in a disparaging way, like "sensational", "operatic" and "melodramatic". They sure succeeded.

Elegantly shot, perfectly paced and laden with fine performances, I honestly can't remember the last time I was so absorbed by a movie. As the closing credits began to roll, I was left reeling from the film's dramatic final scenes and sat in stunned silence for a few moments before remembering to clap.

The film gets a proper release here next month and I strongly suggest you check it out.



[Image: Peter Fingleton]

2 comments:

we're having a moment said...

she looks amazing!€ ugh that hair, wonder if I could pull of, hmm... what would you call that colour? Flame?

DRN

Anonymous said...

Ah I really wanted to see this, so I'm glad it's getting good reviews.....I also meant to see A Single Man but I have NO TIME!