Thursday, November 13, 2008

As We Go On, We Remember...

My graduation ceremony took place on Monday, followed by the Graduation Ball on Tuesday, and I was quite surprised by the weird cocktail off emotions I experienced over the two days.

In some ways, I kind of didn't expect to be too affected by the whole process because I'm continuing on my studies in DCU and the fact that I'm probably never going to put my degree to good use diminishes the sense of achievement somewhat.

As such, I was surprised to find myself quite overwhelmed after the ceremony on Monday when I posed for photographs with my former-classmates. I just thought back on the past four years and the ups and downs I'd gone through with these people. At various points, some of them bailed me out majorly and I'm fully aware that, without their help, I probably wouldn't have survived the course.

Photo courtesy of Kevin Lennon

The Graduation Ball was also a surprisingly emotional affair. Despite the fact that I won't be leaving the red-bricked haven of DCU behind any time soon, there was a nice sense of finality about the night. It was lovely to have a chance to catch up with people who've played roles of varying significance in my life over the past few years and to wish them well.

Only time will tell how many of the Class of 2008 I'll be able to sustain contact with. It's been one heck of a ride, guys. Here's to you.

Photo courtesy of Allan Dixon

Photo courtesy of Steve Grimes

Photo courtesy of Lyndsay McGregor

No comments: