Sunday, November 02, 2008

Trilogy of Desserts

This week I wound up going to three gigs. Maybe it's a sign that I'm getting auld but, these days, I'd much rather go see an act I've even a vague interest in perform than head out on a hedonistic night of clubbing and booze.

Tilly and the Wall played on Tuesday in Andrews' Lane Theatre. Their music isn't easy to categorize as it doesn't really fit any specific genre. They masterfully combine elements of folk, pop, rock and electronica in their lovely sing-along ditties and I guess what makes them particularly unique is their use of a tap dancer, Jamie Presnall, for percussion.

The gig was great fun and full of arty, vaguely hippyish types. There wasn't a whole lot of people there (truth be told I've never seen much of a crowd in Andrews' Lane) but it didn't seem to affect the performance, which the band genuinely seemed to enjoy. The support act, Ugly Megan, were pretty impressive too. Their quirky bogger-electro sound reminds somewhat of You're Only Massive and their cover of the theme from 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' was inspired.

This Tilly and the Wall video is fairly awesome if you haven't seen it yet:



Wednesday was the night The Saw Doctors played the DCU Hallowe'en Ball. I wasn't particularly excited to see them but, admittedly, they were better than I expected. All the same, I'm not prepared to post any of their videos on my blog. Instead, here is a picture of an emu:

Finally, on Thursday, my friend Yvette and I went to see Wallis Bird in The Button Fatcory. I've previously enthused about Wallis and I would definitely recommend checking her out if singer-songwriters like Kate Nash or Gemma Hayes 'float your boat'. Bird told us that it was the biggest gig she ever played and her set was over an hour-and-a-half long, guaranteeing us our money's worth.

It was endearing to see a performer so appreciative of an audience although her insistence that the audience partcipate in call and response for every single song and her constant gushing seemed slightly unprofessional. Bird is a major talent and deserves a wider audience. Perhaps this version of the Depeche Mode Clasic 'I Just Can't Get Enough', currently featured in the television advertisements for 'The Sun' newspaper, will be her big break?