Thursday, April 29, 2010

Chip Off The Old Bloc

While Russell Lissack's been putting the final touches to Pin Me Down's debut album, his Bloc Party bandmate Kele Okereke has been busying himself with his own side-project.

Kele is due to release his solo album 'The Boxer' in June and Shane has kindly pointed me in the direction of the first cut from the record, 'Tenderoni'.

A slow-burning but eventually sprightly dance-pop gem with a deliciously intricate structure, the track takes the elements of electropop that have gradually infiltrated Bloc Party's to new extremes:


I'm sold.

P.S. Is it just me, or does the track remind anybody else of this?

[audio via Sheena Beaston]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LET'S FIND THE BLOC PARTY DJ SET.

(Is it a bit sad that that's still one of my fav nights of all time?)

And you are so right. If that came on in the Old Bar back when the Bodyrox tune was out, I'm sure I'd have thought it was a remix.

Joey said...

Gah. SUCH an Old Bar tune. Along with 'Put Your Hands Up For Detroit' and 'We Are Your Friends'.

Laura said...

This is surprisingly tasty.

Although I do think it would be slightly better without all the you know, singing

Sheena Beaston said...

thanks for the link!

saint said...

haha it sure does have some similar qualities to the bodyrox track! It's that small section after the chorus (bridge) before the next verses. It is practically the same melody, sample maybe?? hmmmm, good track though, beautifully readt for a grime covered dancefloor :)

knickershots said...

reminds me of Where My Rolex as well. not a bad track.