Thursday, May 30, 2013

Not A Part So Far Entwined


Festival season is upon us. Plans for a pilgrimage to the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury may have been scuppered once again, but rest assured I will be wreckin' it at as many Irish festivals as the piggybank will permit.

Headliners are all well and good (I'm looking forward to ticking Vampire Weekend, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Knife and Bjork off my musical bucket list) but it can be more fun to try figure out which acts further down the line-up can't afford to be missed.

Someone I'll certainly be chasing down at Electric Picnic this year is Scottish three-piece CHVRCHES. Although the band appeared on a slew of tastemakers' 'big for 2013' lists last year, it's only in the past few weeks that I've fully succumbed to their charms.

The 80's synthpop swagger of current single 'Gun', anchored by Lauren Mayberry's irresistible vocal, is easily the best song I've heard about homicidal arms-based revenge. Meanwhile, their pacey reworking of MS MR's already pretty excellent 'Hurricane' is, for now at least, the definitive version.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think its gideon and the meds he got to help with his nightmares. What if he hurt eva during one of his dreams he was having. To see more info please visit essayswriters.org/academic-writing.