Tuesday, April 21, 2009

R.S.A.G. Interview

Despite the fact he’s Rarely Seen Above Ground, I managed to track down Jeremy Hickey ahead of his DCU gig.

Hi Jeremy. You were involved in Kilkenny-based band Blue Ghost before R.S.A.G. What prompted you to go solo?

Blue Ghost actually started out as my own project in the mid-nineties before I met the others and we formed the band. We haven’t done anything for a few years now and the others are doing the own thing. One of the guys actually mixed the R.S.A.G. album.

The R.S.A.G. album 'Organic Sampler' is difficult to describe in terms of conventional genres. Were you worried that people wouldn’t know what to make of it?


I never really thought of it in those terms. A far as I was concerned, I was really happy with the album and just wanted to get it out there. I’ve been really surprised by the positive response to the album. I never expected it.

Your performance as one of the nominees for the Choice Music Prize last month in Vicar Street was well received. Do you think a live setting is the best platform for your music to be enjoyed?


Personally, I think so, yeah. It’s more fun for me and I think there’s a bit more energy in the live performances, especially because it’s my first album. It can be disappointing when you go to see bands and find they don’t sound as good as they do on their records. I always wanted to play Vicar Street so it was great to have the chance. They have a really good system there.

Do you think the Choice Music Prize will ever be held in the same esteem as the Mercury Prize?

I’m not sure if it will ever be seen as an Irish equivalent to the Mercury Prize because Ireland is relatively small. I think it’s great that all the artists nominated benefit from some exposure. I definitely did.

Visuals play a huge part in your live sets. How much time do you devote to that aspect of the performance?

R.S.A.G. is a collaboration between me and a guy called Paul Mahon, who does the visuals. Putting together the visuals is a lot like the recording process. The footage has to be filmed and then edited. We spent about two weeks matching up the visuals to the musical arrangements.

What’s next for R.S.A.G.?


I’m beginning a nationwide tour on 20th of April and I’m gonna play a couple of European festivals over the Summer. For now, I’m focusing on promotion.

[Image: Nialler9]

No comments: