Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Year 5, Day 2

I started my Master's degree in Journalism yesterday. I think it's probably a good thing that I was so busy the past few weeks because, if I'd had time to think about properly, I probably would have been quite petrified about the whole affair.

Thankfully, it's been going swell so far although I'm still coming to terms with being suddenly thrust into 'interactive' lectures having just sat and listened to boring maths lecturers for four years. I'm also a little bit intimidated by the amount of experience some of my classmates (two of whom are researchers on Newstalk) but everybody seems friendly enough. There are only 22 of us in the class so I'd hope to be able to get to know most of them quite well during the course of the year.

I've just finished my first assignment (we had to re-write a 19th century account of a London fire in a contemporary style) and we've got our first radio class tomorrow so it's all very exciting. Well, for me anyway.

As tragic as it is that I'm back in for a FIFTH YEAR, I'm delighted to be a DCU student once more. Boozy sessions in Shanowen, confabulations in 'The Street', boogieing in The Old Bar and swim'n'gym sessions in DCU Sports Club. Oh, how I have missed you, DCU.

Unfortunately, there are a number of people I met and grew to love at DCU that have moved on to bigger and better things since last I frequented this redbricked haven and. Not only do I pine for these people but I also get this strange feeling of guilt for continuing on with my DCU experience without them. It's hard to explain.

Tomorrow I will attend my fourth DCU Freshers' Ball (technically I am in the first year of a course but I will concede that there's nothing particularly 'fresh' about me.) The theme is Superheroes and, after much deliberation, I've decided on my costume:

You like?

2 comments:

Suz said...

Aww Joey - I'm so glad you're all settled into the new course! And I too will be at the ball tonite...I am not a fresher..nor am I a DCU student anymore!! I'm going as the cheerleader from heroes!

Unknown said...

I wanna boogie in the Old Bar... glad you're enjoying it!