Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Aaliyah Please, This Is Green Envy


Katy B's new 'Danger' EP, available to download for free over at her official site, is a great little reminder of why 'On A Mission' was one of 2011's finest pop records.

Collaborating with the likes of Iggy Azalea, Diplo, Wiley and Jacques Greene, Ms B has managed to rope in some big names to help her out. The standout though is 'Aaliyah', a duet with Jessie Ware, produced by Geeneus.

A fitting homage to the late great R'n'B singer, 'Aaliyah' does not appropriate any samples or descend into mawkish tributes. Instead, Jessie and Katy plead with an irresistible dancefloor maven by the name of Aaliyah to steer clear of their men. As one friend pointed out, it's a bit like 'Jolene' with nineties keyboards.



Jessie Ware's own record 'Devotion' is deservedly being bandied about in end-of-year album lists and she's also become the latest remix subject du jour. These efforts by Cyril Hahn and Disclosure are some of the best, and I also really love this cover of Brownstone's 'If You Love Me' she's recorded with Japanese teenagers Benzel.




1 comment:

Mona Clifton said...

I heard this song when I went to a bar last week. I wasn't really familiar with it until I heard it today. I initially thought when I clicked this link that it's from the late Aaliyah.