Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Not That Happiness Is Dull. Only That It Doesn't Tell Well.

I've started reading again recently, after a bit of a drought. My plan is to pester friends and family for their favourite books and attempt to read a book a week over the summer. At the moment, I'm reading Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel García Márquez, as suggested by my sister, but if I run out of suggestions I'd like to revisit Lionel Shriver's We Need To Talk About Kevin at some point.

A macabre tale that centres on a woman's strained relationship with her eldest son, the book is one of my all-time favourites and I'm really excited about the imminent film adaptation starring Tilda Swinton.

It's not being released until September, but reports from its recent premiere at Cannes have been overwhelmingly positive and, after watching the teaser trailers, I'm near convinced that this is going to be the movie event of 2011.







No comments: